Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Might I suggest ...

Might I suggest you try listening to some of the same such gear.

I'm workin' on it bjh. It's one of my central ambitions: to get a good listen of lots of different gear. But I'm busy and I live in a bit of a backwater, audio-wise. There's a great dealer 2 hours from me, but with my schedule that's a long haul.

But as to your larger point, I don't think you should assume that my experience is ALL THAT limited, and I'm surprised that you--who presumably has listened to quite a lot of it--would argue (or seem to) that the differences are more than subtle. Now if we're talking about speakers I would agree with you. And analog front-ends can sound dramatically different. But I would argue--and please don't take this out of context; it is NOT a plea for DBT--that for any component where folks have a hard time getting it right in blind testing--and that goes for many amplifiers, cables certainly, and quite a few digital front ends (though by no means all of them)...well that fits my definition of "subtle." That doesn't mean they aren't important, and it doesn't mean I can't hear them, and it certainly doesn't mean that golden-eared pro's like you can't hear 'em. But if you do a rigorous test and the results are inconclusive, THAT'S subtle.

Best,
Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.