Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Some Quick Impressions of the "Quickie"

Well, it turned out to be a less than stellar day outside, so I proceeded with the wiring, soldering, testing and listening with both units.

Everything went smoothly, no problems, and I am really pleased with the good sound!

Once again, got it all done in basically one session, with another short pee break, and popping the cap off a second mild adult beverage, to celebrate the completion ;-)

With fresh Panasonic batteries, I get around 2.9 mA cathode current per channel (B+ is around 38VDC with the new batts). The two NOS Sylvania tubes were nearly matched, the two NOS GEs were about 5% different between the two of them.

I teested it with a SEX amp, into "SEXY" speakers sans the powered woofs, fed with a Sony "car man" CD player which has been my reliable test bench audio signal source for several years.

Very nice clear sound, though the 3S4s tend to be somewhat microphonic, which only happens when I flip the input switch, or tap the chassis plate, otherwise these line stages are dead quiet with no signal input..

I had the Quickie under test sitting on a standard BH 10X6 inch wood base which I temporarily borrowed from my Seduction phono stage.

I'd imagine that the filament or grids in those tubes tends to be just a little bit "springy".

Thanks for a neat and fun audio project! I'll add a photo or two later...

/ed B in NC
real radios glow in the dark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Some Quick Impressions of the "Quickie" - Dyna Saur 17:43:32 10/10/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.