Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Some Quick Impressions of the "Quickie"

Great post - thanks!

"f) ...Grado SR60's... sound honky and have flabby bass due to the impedance mismatch. I don't like how Grado's sound on my SEX amp, either"

I am guessing that the Grados are not designed for the IHF standard 120 ohm impedance, and want to see a much lower source impedance. You might try them on the SEX amp speaker outputs - probably too loud, but the bass might get less flabby. You can short the 120 ohm resistors with clipleads to try it.

"g) Here's a thought - what if I were to get a pair of transformers with ultra-linear taps? Could I connect them to the screens of the pentodes? ..."

I've posted about using the Speco in series feed. The 4K and 2K taps (labelled 1.25 and 2.5 watts respectively) will provide 35% and 50% ultralinear taps if you want to try it. Remember this puts the +36 volts on the headphones unless you use the 8 ohm output as a plain (not autoformer) transformer, and the effective output impedance will be increased. A fairly easy experiment though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.