Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Some Quick Impressions of the "Quickie"

I used the brown leads, per the instructions given in another thread. I think the output impedance off the plate is something like 4000 ohms, so the Specos wired as 8000/500 gets you 250 ohms, which is a light load on the tubes. I don't remember if the Specos have 1k taps, but I'm assuming that if you used a higher impedance tap, the distortion would be higher and the damping factor poor, whereas using something like the 8 ohm taps would yield a good damping factor and lower distortion (since the tubes would see a higher "reflected impedance") but the output would likely be very low. Remember, these little tubes are putting out WAY less than a watt, probably like 50mW or something. I don't know the exact current or voltage output from this thing, so that's just a wild guess....

Again, with resource-hungry cans, I think the SEX amp is superior for critical listening - which is both a testament to Bottlehead's impeccable design (and reflected by the justifiably higher price). Where the Quickie really shines is in its cheapness, ability to be modified, and ability to be used as a tube buffer or preamp with line-level equipment. I like to think of the headphone output as a "bonus."

I'm using mine in my music room/study, coming off an a new aluminum iMac. I may end up building a Stereomour once they come out, put it in the living room in place of my SEX amp, and use the SEX amp in the study with the Quickie as an output buffer. The iMac's audio output is rather low from the headphone jack, and I just can't bring myself to remove my DAC from my "good" system in the living room just to feed the Quickie (though I did try it).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Some Quick Impressions of the "Quickie" - Dr. Toobz 10:54:06 10/10/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.