I've moved. I was in Lynnwood, Wa. A Suburb on the north side of Seattle, just South of Everett. I am now in Raymond, Wa.
Here's a map:
At the east end of the Willapa Bay on the Willapa River. A quiet little lumber mill town. Raymond. Population? Not many. Nice and quiet. Surrounded by trees and greenery. weather: cool and toward the humid side. Coastal.
I am surrounded by tree covered low mountains. Weyerhauser country. And I have a fiber optic internet connection. Way out here. Not bad.
However I am presented with some challenges regarding FM radio reception.
But first more info:
I'm in another 3rd story flat. Rented. Nice solid building with floors that do not bounce. What a nice change from the last place. There are no foot fall issues. Nice solid construction. Looks and feels sturdy. Presumably this building will withstand whatever storms come in off the Pacific.
I've no option other than using indoor type antennae. At the moment I have a dipole up that does bring in many stations with excellent signal strength. However one in particular that I would like to use most often, a jazz station, has the signal strength but also it has quite a lot of hissy noise. I presume I am dealing with something that would be alleviated with an outdoor antenna, directional type and with a motor driven rotator. This is not an option. Repeat; This is not an option.
The tuner is decent. The antenna is the problem. It has to be an indoor antenna. Can modern technology help?
So...I am tempted to try fabbing my own Rhombic antenna just to see if it can capture a cleaner signal.
Also, anyone know any good primers on Radio and the fundamentals of receiving?
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - how many have tried a Rhombic FM Antenna? - user510 13:39:36 06/13/17 (19)
- RE: 1/4 wavelength automotive whip antenna...further - user510 13:18:01 06/22/17 (2)
- RE: 1/4 wavelength automotive whip antenna...further - caffeinator 07:04:24 06/24/17 (1)
- RE: 1/4 wavelength automotive whip antenna...further - user510 10:16:05 06/24/17 (0)
- RE: new data and things tried - user510 13:45:26 06/18/17 (1)
- RE: update notes - user510 12:59:54 06/20/17 (0)
- RE: FM Antenna? - M3 lover 09:55:49 06/17/17 (3)
- RE: FM Antenna? - user510 10:52:29 06/17/17 (2)
- hi steve, where do you want to aim it? how many stations and on which bearings. - Timbo in Oz 00:45:36 06/14/17 (5)
- RE: new data - user510 13:59:31 06/16/17 (0)
- RE: hi steve, where do you want to aim it? how many stations and on which bearings. - user510 14:07:21 06/14/17 (3)
- RE: how many have tried a Rhombic FM Antenna? - kh6idf 14:07:41 06/13/17 (3)
- yes, I posted it to AA. - Timbo in Oz 00:59:26 06/14/17 (0)
- RE: how many have tried a Rhombic FM Antenna? - user510 14:14:41 06/13/17 (1)
- The writer has and a few others posting here have, too! - Timbo in Oz 00:51:58 06/14/17 (0)