Home Radio Road

Which tuner to get and getting the most from it. Thank God, for the radio!

RE: 1/4 wavelength automotive whip antenna...further

The opening post does indicate the use of a rhombic antenna. However, before getting tooled up for that, I thought to optimize use/position of that automotive whip antenna I bought for $10 last week. I invest this much effort because I anticipate some potential good use.

To mount the antenna to the small tripod pictured, I took a piece of 1/4" thick acrylic plate, drilled two holes, one for the 1/4-20 threaded bolt fastener and one for the antenna base to fasten into.

Now I can raise/lower the height of it. The tripod also allows rotation on two planes, horizontal and vertical.

I find that with some experimentation with the rotation, altitude and x,y, positioning, I have a lower noise floor. At the moment I am not using the multipath reduction switch on the tuner. And this is an improvement in noise levels from the previous mounting. Signal strength remains the same. 4 lights.

edits/updates to this post:
I have noticed that throughout the day reception clarity/noise does change. It changes when the atmosphere becomes cloudy (better) and when it transitions from overcast into cloudless blue sky conditions (not always as good). It changes from early morning to late afternoon even when the weather remains constant throught the day. Perhaps reception is best and cleanest sounding in the evening/early morning hours.

I have seen similar effects in all of the various places I have lived throughout my life. However, I have rarely been able to use an outdoor FM antenna, as it would be preferred.

-Steve

Edits: 06/23/17 06/23/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.