Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

Sorry

Don't know of any such test results o for the DQ-10.

One factor which distresses me about the DQ-10s is the non symmetrical spacing of the the individual drivers and the fact that the speaker is not made in mirrored pairs. I find that speaker symmetry is quite important for my ears. I particularly dislike when tweeters are made off set to the other drivers. I find that the propagation of the sound field will be symmetrical about a line drawn through the tweeter and midrange drivers. Thus if the tweeters are mounted inboard that line converges in the center between the speakers and thus throws a significantly lower sound stage. If mounted outboard, it throws a soundstage that is high in the middle but droops at the periphery outboard of the the speakers.

The interaction of the drivers among themselves also creates a large amount of distortion through their interaction Mounting the drivers in a single line column vertically seems to reduce the inter driver action.

Incidentally it is quite easy to demonstrate this interaction and the issues it creates. I believe the bulk of the issue comes from cancellation between the drivers, when the same wavelengths meet 180 degrees apart on the speaker baffle. That's when any crossover frequency overlap result in cancellation, generally. You can easily hear this feature and manipulate it to your advantage by creating a small "dam" between drivers on the baffle about half way between the drivers. A length of putty about a 1/8th of an inch high is all you need. This will prevent the air flow diametrically opposed from interacting and you will hear a noticeable rise in the area where the crossover frequencies overlap. By moving this dam closer towards one driver you can increase or decrease the dispersion of the air flow from that drivers and thus effect a user controllable tone control of sorts.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Sorry - unclestu52 12:43:38 09/17/09 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.