Home Isolation Ward

From ebony pucks to magic foil, mystical and controversial tweaks.

The question becomes

Do you hear polarity inversions?

It is fine to know the theory (which I am quite familiar with, BTW), but do you hear inversion and its issues? I owned a pair of Martin Logan Quests ( and previously had Sequels and the CLS, and was plagued by the fact that their woofers are inverted to the panels. Being bi wireable, that was a simply issue to resolve. Strangely, although one would expect a huge hump in the crossover region where the two drivers overlap, there was little to annoy me and the timing alignment more than made up for any hump that may have happened on occasion.

Phase is indeed constantly changing depending on the impedances of the voice coils and such, but I find that so long as it remains within 90 degrees or so relative to each other, the sound emitted is far more coherent than one which starts off 180 degrees apart. I do not pretend to be an apologist for the various speaker and crossover designs. It has been my observation that too many are overly enamored of the results printed out from their computer and too little emphasis is placed on the the resolving transducers on the sides of your head.

Stu

PS look at the impulse test for the Vandersteen Quattro and then look at the results of the Thiel 3.7: remarkably similar and yet one uses a simpler driver design. The problem can be addressed and resolved: listeners have to train themselves to be aware of the issue.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.