Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Long Term Owner Aside (Maybe) How the hell do most reviewersaford to own the latest and most expensive?

Is WEALTH a requirement for membership as a reviewer in almost every high end magazine? I mean the price of some of the components in most reviewers' reference systems are, by my standards VERY expensive! Hey, I was a high end audio dealer for many years and know that I and my employees often had the option to purchase products that we sold at salemen accomodation, which was generally 50% of retail. We all needed to sign that we would not re-sell said product, for a manufacturer specified period of time, usually one year.
But, none (No Dah, I know) could even afford to pay half of $20,000-$80,000. I have long since left the audio business and have made a very comfortable living since, but still can't purchase the expensive products that many reviwers seem to. Certinly not as often.

Or, are many of these very expensive reference listed producs Long Term Loaners? Expensive (or inexpensive) long term loaners often get mention as a reference product of choice during almost every review that I have read. I'm not so sure that this possibility makes me distrust the review of said loaner though. If it wee me, I would not want to be responsible for keeping a very expensive loaner healthy and undamaged in my home unless I really liked the thing. If these guys are atually buying these monstrosities, even at half rice, then Damn! God Bless The Very Wealthy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Long Term Owner Aside (Maybe) How the hell do most reviewersaford to own the latest and most expensive? - chopper87@aol.com 11:11:11 03/07/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.