Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I actually believe that people do hear what they claim they hear...

which does not mean that I believe that what they hear is real. As long as those listening tests include parameters which are not controlled or even considered, sorry, then I can't accept the results as being valid. Which is exactly the case for the above mentioned cap-in-a-crossover story.

People's obervation are valid only when the experimental circumstances are without flaws. That's what publishing and peer-reviewing is about. One can look at those circumstances and judge how much validity can be attributed to the results.

Playing a mono recording and switching between right and left speakers which are not pair matched and which are not in the same, i.e. identical location within the listening room do not represent flawless experimental circumstances. Period. So in this particular case "there is something else which invalidates the experience", yes.

I did my own listening experiments, that's why I don't have any special audio rack, or footers or platforms, or cables. That's why I'm about to abandon vinyl and copy all my records to CD. That's why I think that Acoustic System Resonators is a scam. That's why I don't have photographs on the freezer. Life's too short so I prefer enjoying my favorite music instead of doing listening experiments.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.