Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: That "myth" was born in Audio magazine, c.1979, by Jung and Curl -- been known ever since. nt

Don't you mean 'Jung and Marsh' ? I did write about cap non-linearity in 1979 in 'Omitted Factors in Audio Design' in 'Audio' but I did not mention dielectric absorption, which I did find important with a different sort of distortion test, after reading 'Jung and Marsh's article on cap selection.
What is amazing about Klaus is that he does not know or understand cap distortion. This is one of the fundamental factors that separates mid fi from serious hi fi. It can be measured by just about anyone, who is technical, IF they were so inclined.
The interesting thing about caps is that this distortion is not usually measurable at mid frequencies with sine wave or SMPTE IM distortion, partially because of the symmetry of the test waveform (music is not as symmetric as a rule) and because coupling caps are virtually shorted out in the midband, but caps have serious voltage drop across them when used as either low pass or high pass filters, which they invariably are at some practical portion of audio source frequencies.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.