Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Intel is taking a risk....

There is no conclusion what sounds better. Either is superior to the common diode. Here is what I found with this question on a few sites.

CIS Schottky has zero switching noise, but high leakage with high temperature. Leakage rises faster than a linear scale with high temperatures per another audiophiles advice.

Hexfred diode has some switching noise, but far superior to a standard diode and low leakage at high temperatures.

The CIS Schotkey needs a lot of heat sink and best to keep just warm at the touch. Retrofitting vintage gear with a heatsink may be difficult with regard to available room using a heat sink and half size TO-220 heat sink may be the limit unless you can place the diodes somewhere else in the amp or receiver enclosure.

Hexfred can operate at high temperatures thus uses a smaller heat sink.

Both diodes have a forward voltage drop up to 1.75 volts.

The CIS diode needs a 1/2 size TO-220 heat sink on any amp to about 35 watts per channel and a full size TO-220 heatsink to about 70 watts per channel. And double back to back TO-220 heat sinks to about 140 watts per channel.

The Hexfred diode does not need a heat sink on amps to about 20 watts per channel. A 1/2 size TO-220 heat sink to 70 watts per channel and full size heat sink to about 140 watts per channel. Double full size back to back TO-220 heat sink should be ok up to about 250 watts per channel.

Some audiophiles stated the CIS Schottky sounds a little steely and can have some fatigue. However, I am using the CIS diode in a vintage receiver and doi not notice any steely sound or fatigue. Some audiophiles stated a IXYS Hexfred did not sound as good as a low noise regular diode, but only one report of poor sound.

All things considered, the Hexfred is likely the best bet without leakage issues operating at high temperatures.

Either diode is available at 600/650 volts or 1200 volts. A 2 to 1 voltage safety factor of the operating high voltage appears to remove failures. Nasty 120 volt line spikes can occur on your electrical distribution system. Most vintage amps use a bridge in solid-state designs. Keep in mind a full-wave center tap has twice the reverse voltage compared to a bridge rectifier per diode.

What is great about using either diode is it is like using a rectifier tube on a solid-state amp with all the benefits of a rectifier tube, but about zero voltage drop.

If you have anything to add or a statement is in error, please advise.

Edits: 05/08/21 05/08/21 05/08/21 05/08/21 05/08/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.