Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Yo Pictureguy

So many levels to this and I'm predicting ways to GAME the law.

First? Cutting edge is expensive. INTEL would build a fab or modify a fab for new smaller geomitries and larger die. But be stuck with the wafer size the place was built for. Back in the day, a 6" wafer was 'large' but now? not so much.
Intel would have huge prices on the new stuff which cycled profits UP. Than prices would fall as yields went up and to fuel demand. At some point, profites were diverted to fuel the NEXT generation of expensive parts.
It was a roller coaster ride.

The OTHER part of this is what we called 'commodity' parts. This would be stuff like OPAMPS and other integrated circuits which were designed earlier. Companies like ZILOG (now gone) would churn 'em out by the millions. Being a commodity? You have slim margins and yield is king.

ANY kind of disaster which puts wafers in the trash is expensive. I have NO IDEA how much a new large epitaxial wafer costs. Certainly over 100$ a slice....in a box of 25, probably, and you start a couple hundred a day or more. The fab I worked in started 1500 a DAY or 15 'lots' of 100 wafers each. This was a 150mm line which I suspect is now outmoded by newer, larger wafers. 300mm is common and I see tak of a 450mm wafer.....!

10 billion? chicken feed.
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.