Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Solved: Tympani IVa midrange driver problem

Recap: One of my midrange drivers had lower output than the other channel, by 3 or 4 dB across its range. I determined the problem was an excessive bend in the perforated back panel of the driver (which hold the magnets), and the increased distance of the magnets from the wire (voice coil) on the mylar led to lower volume.
I've experimented with adding a variety of crossbars to reduce the bend in the midrange panel, and found that I only need 2 crossbars near the center (where the curve was greatest). I used 1/4" by 5/16 aluminum bars, secured with screws thru the MDF panel. I spent a couple hours building a jig to route notches in the MDF panel to mount the cross bars as well and new mounts (in place of the staples used by Magnepan), then routed 22 notches in about 5 minutes. After experimenting with the number of cross bars (I tried up to 4) and the pressure they exerted on the rear of the driver by spacing them away from the driver with flat washers, I found I only needed slight pressure on the center of the panel to get the level back up to match my other channel driver.
Attached is a photo of the bars in place showing my mounting technique.
Listening tests show I now have good left to right balance across the frequency spectrum, with solid center images for vocals (which I did NOT have before).
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.
I'm now moving on to terminal/cap/fuse-holder upgrades.
Mike

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Solved: Tympani IVa midrange driver problem - mikebarney 05:48:47 04/26/21 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.