Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "the bad channel exhibits a suck-out in the midrange relative to the woofer" ...

The midrange driver without the crossover should measure about 3.6 Ohms. There have been a guy who let Magnepan re-wire the mids of the 3.6 with foil conductors. I did it myself, it was the smallest cross section foil, the one used in the mids of the 20-series. Will give the same impedance (resistance) but slightly lower output (as the foil is not sitting in strongest spot of the magnetic field). My 3.6 shows a difference between right and left speaker, tweeters are 2.5 dB hotter on one side. I am not impressed by the quality of work of Magnepan (I have four sets). One of my foiled T-IVa mids has also a lower output, the Mylar is further away from the magnets. It seems to be common that the Mylar leaves the double side tape, that will change the performance quite a bit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "the bad channel exhibits a suck-out in the midrange relative to the woofer" ... - Roger Gustavsson 08:41:27 04/08/21 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.