Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Here's What's Actually Happening

"Those ignorant of history are forced to repeat it".

Already so much knowledge is being lost. Things that were known to a previous generation of audiophiles are gone, or almost gone. Good thing I'm still around -).

OK, here's the deal. Many open reel tape machines add a layer of IM distortion. The decent ones don't add a lot, just a fine amount. It sounds very pleasing to many ears, since it mimics natural processes. An ideal example is a choir. That's right: a bunch of people singing together. What occurs is that as the voices mix and "beat" against each other, they generate IM, which is how the choir sound gets created in the first place.

Some tape decks do something similar [but not cassette decks]. I've heard the effect with my own ears, repeatedly, back when I worked in the audio industry. Teac A-2300 and A-3300 [I beleive] was really good at "enriching" sound.

If you like the effect, then by all means, enjoy. But, no, you're not improving the original; you're just adding something else to it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.