Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: 45 rpm to 15 ips 2 track .. Anyone?

I bought most of the Classic 45's when they were issued. I think I have over 60 of their albums - all of the classical issues and some of the jazz and pop. I too got tired of changing the record side every 10 minutes (or even shorter in some cases). So I transferred them all to 15 ips 2 track on my Otari 5050 BIII. In the case of the classical records, when the 45's were done, in many cases, they did a very poor job of choosing a side break in the middle of a movement. The worst offender is the Heifetz Beethoven Violin Concerto, first movement, where the side break is done by fading out in the middle of a passage and then fading back in after the side break. The tape helps, but was not the total solution.

So I ended up digitizing all the 45's as part of a mammoth ripping project. I have quite high end pro equipment that I chose for the project. Everything is ripped at 192/24 using a Pacific Microsonics Model Two and Merging Technologies Pyramix Software and their Mykerinos Sound Card. I also do post processing with Izotope RX2 Advanced to remove clicks and pops. With the files digitized, I can stitch together files like the Beethoven so the breaks are essentially seamless. With no clicks and pops and better edits, the listening experience is even better than with R2R.

So right now I have 60+ albums of the Classic 45's transferred to 15ipos 2 track on RMGI SM911 and LPR35 for the longer albums sitting in my storage room on nice 10.5" metal NAB hubs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 45 rpm to 15 ips 2 track .. Anyone? - astrotoy 11:12:49 01/22/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.