Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

RE: So, using that logic, when UPS starts

charging the recipient of packages an arbitrary, non-contractual fee for interstate deliveries, or intercity deliveries, or cross town deliveries, and the package recipient knows nothing of that fee until he receives a bill days or weeks after the package has arrived, we should simply "just pay it, and call it a lesson learned". I'm saying bullshit to that.

Because you say "..there's not a lot you can do about it, other than refuse the shipment.", I'm not sure you understand the situation. The UPS driver, when delivering the package, does not give the recipient any warning that they will soon be receiving a bill from UPS, so there is no reason to "refuse the package" out of protest. Re-read the OP's post-the package is delivered, a bill is later received in the mail, the package recipient has no prior knowledge that he would be charged, or be liable for the bill. Also, UPS is not trying to recoup any 'customs charges' they might have paid when the package crossed the border-it's simply a processing fee that UPS is tacking on to their shipping cost.

These charges, if real, should be calculated during the shipping process along with the actual shipping cost, and it's mystifying to me why they aren't-unless, as I suspect, UPS is just trying to squeeze some extra money out of frightened and gullible consumers who, when they see the word 'customs' on the bill, fear real reprisal.

"dammit"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.