Home Shady Lane

Retailers, Manufacturers, ePay, AudiogoN, Paypal or whatever. Buying and selling advice.

RE: UPS

UPS is by far the worst option for any international shipments, period.

I personally will not buy from any seller that uses UPS for international shipments.

UPS will reply that they use a 3rd party Customs Broker who handles all the details regarding any international transaction. It just so happens that this broker charges higher fees than any other broker, and those fees are not based on the work involved, but simply scale by the declared value of the item.

However, that "3rd party Customs Broker" is a wholly owned subsidiary of UPS.

If you do end up with a transaction that involves UPS, due to error, miscommunication, or not being able to find an alternate seller for the product you need, you can clear the package yourself.

All you need is a detailed invoice, in any form. In other words, an eMail is fine.
That invoice must be a true invoice; ie itemized with individual costs for each item.

In Canada, take that to the local customs office (there is one in every city) and pay the GST (sales tax of 5% due) and any duties if it was not US or Mexican made (lots of HiFi is not).

Be sure to notify UPS the item is already cleared; they will often claim they did it before you did, which is, of course, impossible. Customs won't clear an item that has already cleared.

In the US, I don't have any advice, but you should be able to find out how to clear shipments yourself if you ask.

FedEx also has similar brokerage fees, although they are mercifully less onerous than UPS's.

In most cases, a premium shipping method will include the brokerage fee. It's worth looking at what premium shipping will add, as it's sometimes less to get it fast and without brokerage fees to boot.

However, FedEx charges a flat $10 "processing" fee, even on the premium "no-brokerage fee" levels of service. So, add that in.

Shipments by USPS to Canada carry a flat $8 brokerage fee, charged by Canada Post for their in-house broker, regardless of the value of the item or the complexity of clearing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: UPS - gordguide 06:28:49 01/29/10 (0)
    • RE: UPS - gordguide 06:34:58 01/29/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.