Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Further thoughts on wire directionality

How important is wire directionality for each of the following?
1. Capacitors

2. Resistors

3. Inductors, including tiny coil in moving coil cartridge

4. Internal wiring of amps, CD players, etc.

5. Wiring in crossovers,

6. Power cords

7. Transformers

8. Headphone cable

As for #1 & #4 I asked Charles Hansen that question. His reply,

RE: Ping, Charles Hansen
Posted by Charles Hansen (M) on January 16, 2010 at 17:26:35
In Reply to: Ping, Charles Hansen posted by jea48 on January 16, 2010 at 15:32:09:

Every time that I have decided a priori that something can't *possibly* have any effect, I have always been proven wrong by listening tests at a later date. So I end up deliberately not listening to some things because I'm not sure if I want to know the answer...

I have never listened for wire directionality. I have talked with enough people I trust to believe that it is real. Some of them think that it is part of the wire itself and is created as the wire is drawn to smaller gauges through the dies. Others think that it acquires its directionality by being played in the system.

I don't really know. I'm not sure that I want to know. We don't really want to get into some strange position of trying to make products that aren't really manufacturable or would end up costing twice as much to make as they do now.

~~~~~~~~~~

Please note that this is a completely different topic than RCA interconnect cables that are directional due to the way they are manufactured. In the old days everyone just used coax and one end was the same as the other. Now most companies use a twin-ax conductor that is the same that they use for a balanced XLR cable. Then there are *two* grounds. One is the shield and one is the internal ground wire right next to the hot wire.

Typically the internal ground wire is connected at both ends, but the shield is only connected at one end. Reversing the direction of these cables will determine to which component the shield is connected and will certainly make an audible (and possibly measurable) difference.

~~~~~~~~~

Finally, it should be noted that we *do* orient all of our axial-leaded plastic film capacitors. When the capacitor is wound, one of the leads will be connected to the outside conductor and the other lead will be connected to the inside conductor. Orienting the capacitor in the circuit properly makes a difference in the sound quality.

It took us a while to figure out how, but we built a machine that allows us to tell which end of the capacitor is which. It is a pain, but we sort every single capacitor and mark it for the correct orientation at each point in the circuit. If we had to *listen* to every capacitor to determine the correct polarity, I don't think anybody could afford to buy our products...

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/55/558658.html

>>>>>>>>>>

As for #5 one would think so. Maybe the big boys do but keep it a trade secret..... I have no idea.

This guy doesn't.

Re: stranded or solid core power cord ?? need advice
« Reply #133 on: 6 Dec 2013, 06:24 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121391.120

AJinFLA
Industry Participant

Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers

Oh there's already a filter. It's in your power supply.
Well...not necessarily. In my equipment and maybe yours too. Things like power supplies would have been competently engineered (among other things, like line input/output impedance, etc, etc.) and thus largely immune to line cords and ICs, etc, etc.
But that (along with the price, production volume and brand/faceplate, etc) is what makes them "Mid Fi".
They lack "magical" properties when things like cables start getting swapped around.
In a "high end" component, the complete opposite may be true. The level of incompetence in engineering can be startling...but this is desired!! Thus, when a power or IC cable, etc. makes a dramatic difference, the street cred of the component skyrockets, it is "revealing" of a, b, c and d!!
So yes, while audiophile perceptions can be in error in the really real world (not theirs), it is impossible separate that from the fact that the cord (etc) could indeed be affecting the soundfield (pardon the pun) to audibility thresholds. Can't prove a negative, so take with a grain of salt that it could be real...or imagined.
Now with regards to "directionality", same applies. Remember, that cable is to be inserted into components on both ends. Are they "audiophile injuneered"? Also remember, that while the wire itself can't be "directional", the terminations can be different (including shielding as pointed out earlier). The impedance mismatch at either end load can differ. Reflections, settling time, etc. will be different
Whether that rises to audibility thresholds, or is just part of the imaginary effects, who knows? One would have to control test every individual situation...an obvious impossibility.
The capacitor thing is largely nonsense, that one would practically demand a controlled test to add yet another null to the heap.

Oh and to the OP, forget stranded vs solid, that shouldn't enter the buying choice except for purely psychological reasons. Which may be all that really matters!!

cheers,

AJ

Start of thread, http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=121391.0

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

#8) If stranded wire is used, just guessing the answer is no.

Edits: 02/28/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.