Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Your thoughts please.

Well, first let me tell you flat-out that electron currents flowing in the wires is the mechanism that transfers all of the energy at DC (meaning the transient has "passed") and most of the energy in the audio band. That's just the way the world works regardless of what you may read on the Internet...

About electron mobility: Yes they actually can flow through metals and the oft used analogy with water in hoses isn't too bad. That's why we make wires out of metal! Metal atoms have weak outer valance's so elections can mosey about amongst them without much effort forming the eponymous  "electron cloud" within the wire while keeping each other at arm's length, it's a "likes repel" thing...

If an external voltage, say a flashlight battery, is applied between the ends the wire then electrons are forced in from it's negative terminal and sucked out by it's positive terminal.
Since the wire is packed with free electrons they move virtually en masse transporting the applied energy to the other end at a good part of C. Note that the ones being forced out are NOT the same ones just flowing in, rather they are some of the resident crew that happened to be at the far (the positive) end so the energy propagation time is fast even though the individual electrons aren't.

The current flow does create an electromagnetic field of photons which actually doesn't do much at audio frequencies because the charge accelerations are slow and that's what drives radiation.

Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.