Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Audio System Performance (a rant)

"In your case, you likely have no idea what would consitute an equalization transfer function that would "reverse" some of the EQ woes done in the recording / mixing / mastering process. What you did is subjectively EQ the recording - it SOUNDS better now."

Yes, it sounds better, on a carefully calibrated (by listening and measuring) playback system that has been adjusted so that the majority of recorded music will sound good on it, leaving only outliers as sounding bad. By sounding better, I mean sounds like a plausible reproduction of a Bruckner symphony in a decent concert hall from a seating perspective consonant with the level of reverberation in the recording. I don't know that the recording was EQ'd other than the transfer function of the microphones and the position of the microphones in respect to the violins, which have different frequency balance at different radiation angles. It would have been better to have moved the microphones to slightly different locations, rather than do the fixup that I did, but, either way, a bad recording was transformed into a good one.

"The fact it's recorded music cannot be eliminated from the equation no matter how determined some of us are to do just that (me included)."

I expect recorded music to give me the same emotional experience as a live concert, with the exception of the doubt one experiences during an actual performance that the artists will actually pull it off.... I also expect that recordings of small ensembles and solo instruments will play back in a living room with equivalent sonic results to having the actual musicians present and performing. For small scale ensembles this is entirely possible, as I have demonstrated to my personal satisfaction by recordings that I have made.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.