Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Audio System Performance (a rant)

"The greater the diversity of the recordings used in the evaluation, and thus component selection, the more chance of successful playback (ie. enjoyment of the music) of new music. I doubt very much this system will sound as good as the "best" system with ideal recordings (but given great recordings it will sound great) or will it measure the best."

Sounds to me like this would be a system that really isn't the "best" at all, but rather one that simply homogenizes good and bad recordings into a more listenable melee of music. I really think a lot of audiophiles buy REALLY good equipment and then try to dumb it down with magic cables and extremely old/rare/NOS tubes to deal with the fact that some of their most treasured music is recorded very very poorly.

Audiophiles are like race car drivers who want a race car that is "the best"... that will work on dry track, wet track, snow covered track, dirt track, and track with large pot holes in it.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.