Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: Audio System Performance (a rant)

Tony did a good job avoiding falling into the trap of not using those words, at first read that's where I was going, on second read I noted he had covered that. I agree with your point.

Discussing the definition of synergy there should be no question that one selects components capable of delivering the most important performance criteria for any particular listener. If I like a powerful rhythmic bass then every component I select should provide that - any component that detracts from that should be rejected. Same for a natural midrange response or whatever other criteria one judges to be important. If you do this the compromises of your system and your components are those you, the buyer and listener, find less important*.

It makes sense, on some kind of an academic level, that one would select a component with an audible midrange dip, if it was important to his listening then be limited to selecting another component to "make up" for it. On a practical level it sounds like non-sense to me, as do black box solutions to poorly selected electrically/physically non compatible components.

*When I learned how to do that, select components based on strengths, it didn't take me long to realize care has to be taken not to get too much of a good thing.

Edits: 12/20/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Audio System Performance (a rant) - Goober58 17:38:41 12/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.