Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: recording death

Drums in reverberant space = dying slow and terrible death.

That being said, keep the drums out in the open as much as you can. Or move them to another room and place a plastic bag over the drummer's head. With the drums as far away from the walls as you can get the sound will have more time to decay before hitting a hard reflective surface. Using a mic kit won't help with the verb, but it will make it less noticeable in the recording. The farther away the mics are the more "other stuff" they'll pick up, including reverb. Along these same lines, you will help keep bleed from the drums out of other mics by getting everyone else as close as humanly possible to their mic. But you already knew that.

A drum mic kit from most any manufacturer should have what you need. Obviously steer away from Samson and Nady unless that's all you can afford, and between the two take Samson. Shure makes a good kit and so does Audix. Or build your own with a SM-57 or your favorite instrument dynamic for each tom, high hat and the snare (and snare bottom if that's your thing) and good kick mic and two hyper-cardioid pencil condensers for overheads.

Heavy drapes and curtain rods, if you can drill into the walls. There really isn't any other way to make blankets hanging on the walls look very good at all. I'm assuming the reason you're recording here is because people will be watching, and gaff taping blankets to the walls probably isn't what they want to see.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.