Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: microphones

I left my reply open in case you had strong opinions about microphones like most people do. Some people recoil at the mere mention of Shure mics while some others hesitate to use anything else (just the classic example, there are other rivalries out there but none nearly as interesting). There are some good forum discussions here and also at http://www.fohonline.com/forum about microphone choice.

To save you some time, a great budget choice for condensers is the AKG C1000S; vary the pattern by changing out a little head that fits over the mic capsule. Better mic, but three times as expensive is the AKG C451B. These make excellent all-around condensers to have one hand for pianos, group vocals, singers who are afraid of mics, podium mics, etc. I think the Shure KSM series (109 and 137) are excellent microphones as well, but I'm not sure of their price.

I suggested hyper-cardioid for overheads to avoid bleed from other sources, but if you've got some experimentation time get a mic with selectable patterns (C1000S comes to mind) and try both.

Don't forget to look into piano pickups like Barcus Berry too. A clip-on for the cello is going to be best, but I can't even begin to get you going in the right direction with them, I've never used one. Hope I've helped more than hindered, feel free to yell at me if I say anything really stupid.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.