Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

recording drums in a reverberant space

hi people, i'm doing a live recording in a very live church (high, concrete walls/ceilings) with no sound reinforcement. i'm recording drums, 4 flutes, a cello, a bass, and a grand piano. i'm trying to minimize or at least cut back the reverb of the space a bit. i don't want that "stadium rock" sound, as the other instrument parts are very intricate, dynamic, and the drummer will be using brushes. i THINK placing the drums close to a corner will help cut back the reverb, but i could be wrong. i also THINK using a mic kit would be better because the mics would be closer to the drums and wouldn't have so much space in front of them to pick up the reverbs. basically my questions are:

are my assumptions correct?
should i use a mic kit and place the drums near a corner and not out in the open?
if not, what kind of mic setup should i use? btw, i can't afford to spend $600 on a hihat mic. keep that in mind.
anybody have a clever tip for hanging dampening blankets?
is there any disadvantage to buying a bunch of reasonably flat ldc's and using low and hi pass filters for everything?

thanks

Edits: 10/26/07 10/26/07

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - recording drums in a reverberant space - nwilke 18:50:45 10/26/07 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.