In Reply to: XXHighEnd Player Works!!!!! posted by Mercman on June 30, 2007 at 20:50:27:
Well after some more listening I'm sure for me that this XX player sounds better than the foobar I've put together :/. This is WinXP machine. I'm running foobar 8.3/asio 47a.7z, asio2k, as many components removed as i can (i don't even do album art/seek bar; as simple as can be) 16/44 into a nonoverupconverting Stello DAC vs XX Eng 1. My "Sound and Audio Devices" shows "No Audio Device" so I'm sure I've been bypassing Kmixer for foobar play and XX.
The XX is the best player I've used in my system in terms of sound. Larger soundstage, everything fleshed out better/of a whole, low bass/bass/drums more impact better defined, everything highs on down more articulate....
My 11 year old daughter was brought in blind and sputtered words that tried to approach what I said above and also said "the loud parts seem more loud and the quiet parts seem more quiet"... which I'll take as better dynamics. When asked flatly what player did she prefer or was there no difference, she quickly responded there was a difference and she thought and chose XX as the better player.
This is all very frustrating because:
1) I can only get eng #1 to work and only if the wav file I'm playing is 64MB or < in size... ~ 6 min of music... a usb dac limit or something.
2) I can't get eng 2 to work, because I don't know how to get my machine to recognize my Stello Dac as "Primary Sound Device". Everything I've read about eng 2 leads me to believe it would not be as good as eng 1 anyway... but eng 2 gets around 64MB wav limit.
3) No cue file support. All my music is ripped as single album wav with a cue file. To listen on XX I have to rerip to smaller song wavs.
4) I think just shy of $100 is a lot of money to be asking for a player and one that seems to be very much in development... I've bought into software before that was going to be developed ... but didn't. I would think that early adopter would get a good size price cut.
5) I'd prolly rush out and buy it and Vista and run XX on its eng 3 (made only for Vista)... but I'm still not sure it would work with my usbdac. Eng 3 only works with the Primary Sound Device and at least in WinXP I have not been able to have my Stello USBDAC be my Primary Sound Device.
Hope others will try it and give some feedback. I wouldn't keep on here except I'm afraid it sounds like a pretty decent step forward in music making to ignore.
Edits: 07/02/07This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - XXHighEnd Player Works!!!!! - Mercman 20:50:27 06/30/07 (20)
- does this thing have a convolver? n/t - Ugly 10:35:40 07/03/07 (2)
- RE: does this thing have a convolver? n/t - Todd Krieger 00:00:42 07/04/07 (1)
- Thanks, that's what I was wondering. n/t - Ugly 18:05:40 07/05/07 (0)
- RE: XXHighEnd Player Sounds!!!!! better than my foobar... but - SeVeReD 21:14:11 07/02/07 (2)
- Silver Crimson - Shakey 05:14:38 07/02/07 (1)
- RE: Silver Crimson - Mercman 07:00:09 07/02/07 (0)
- RE: XXHighEnd Player Works!!!!! - Todd Krieger 01:17:52 07/01/07 (3)
- Your Winamp setup? - rupertdacat 07:57:39 07/04/07 (2)
- RE: XXHighEnd Player Works!!!!!...well kinda but still no music for me - SeVeReD 21:41:31 06/30/07 (7)
- 1st thoughts - SeVeReD 02:03:39 07/01/07 (2)
- size matters - SeVeReD 01:11:03 07/01/07 (1)
- and the reasons are... - SeVeReD 10:02:24 07/01/07 (0)
- RE: XXHighEnd Player Works!!!!!...well kinda but still no music for me - Dawnrazor 21:52:20 06/30/07 (1)
- RE: XXHighEnd Player Works!!!!!...well kinda but still no music for me - SeVeReD 22:39:08 06/30/07 (0)