Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: You are missing my point

Ethernet is a transformer isolated signal . . .

The transformers are there for safety reasons. They are not designed for - and are ineffective at - filtering noise. The humblest LAN installer (me, even) understands the reasons why but Tony Lauck has explained them on this forum a dozen times for those who don't.

And where this RF noise enters the equipment ?

Er, where the wire plugs in?

the entire point of digital: to provide a system that preserves a high quality signal in the face of unavoidable analog distortions.

The error-correction capabilities do indeed ensure that the content of a packet is not corrupted but correcting data errors does not filter associated noise and the computing activity needed to perform error correction typically adds to it. That noise won't induce errors in a spreadsheet but, as you know, tends to degrade the integrity of a real-time signal such as audio. This is basic stuff.

Sorry to sound like a Galileo wannabee but the best way to see if a "better" ethernet connection can improve the sound quality of your system is to try one. Whatever next?

Disconnect the LAN cable from the device that drives your DAC. Connect it to a decentish switching hub such as a small Netgear. Now connect the hub to the device driving your DAC with a variety of short cables. Try to compare a stock cable (with its notoriously out-of-spec impedances, poor connectors etc etc) with a good quality off-the-shelf cable such as a Rosewill and the likes of a Meicord, aimed at the audio sector but only slightly more expensive than the Rosewill. If you have a suitable linear PSU handy, try it on the hub.

If you can't hear the difference, save your money but don't think that doing so logically entitles you to belittle those who say they can. I've not tried a Rosewill but I have compared remote server connections via a Netgear switch (linear and wall-wart powered) using a Meicord, a decent CAT 7 and a stock cable. The Meicord via the linear-powered switch is clearly the best though the CAT 7 wasn't bad. Stock cables, esp when by-passing the switch, significantly degrade the sound. A network engineer has suggested I try using 100-BaseT instead of 1000-BaseT but I've yet to do so.

The only difference Meicord claims for their cables is an adherence to spec closer than practicable with cheaper cables. I do not, given their price, envisage trying Audioquest cables. Thanks BTW to sounchekk for the original tip.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.