Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I liked this bit from the third comment:

"Digital communications systems are designed around the idea that noise is inevitable in even the best systems, and you need a way to detect errors."

That to me is the entire point of digital: to provide a system that preserves a high quality signal in the face of unavoidable analog distortions.

I think current digital devices do a pretty good job of that. For example, I have a modest, far less than US$100 Blu-Ray player (complete with wall-wart power supply) that provides simply stunning Blu-Ray visuals and an adrenalin pumping 5.1 sound track. However, if I have the temerity to suggest that it also sounds pretty good at straight audio playback I'll be called deaf, or a troll, or otherwise insulted or dismissed.

You don't have to drink the kool-aid. You don't have to spend big bucks to get decent sound. Ask yourself this: given the huge strides in available video quality from VHS to Blu-Ray, and the concurrent reduction in size and price for the components, why hasn't audio been able to keep up? Is audio really that much more complex than video (with its accompanying audio tracks)? Or are audio engineers simply not as good as video (with its accompanying audio tracks) engineers? Or are we just being sold a bill of goods?

JE

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.