Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Interesting the 1st comment

In general transformers are designed to reject common mode signals while passing differential mode signaling, though nothing is perfect. Based on the construction and limitations set forth by mother nature, there is no such thing as a perfect transformer. Most common mode noise will be blocked by even crappy pulse type transformers as far as I know.

A problem with Ethernet circuitry CAN be common mode noise, sure. Diff signaling in itself only increases signal to noise ratio compared with the diff noise. However, the impedance "balancing" typically used in this type of circuitry allows for some amount of common mode noise rejection. Together they work to limit the negative affects of noise of both types.

The nature of the sum of the noise (common mode noise component plus differential mode noise component = sum of noise problem) problem will depend on the noise source and the victim circuits ability to reject it. In my experience the types of power supplies and high speed digital circuitry used in typical PC's can cause significant common mode and/or differential mode problems if not treated with care. Especially with low cost power supplies the diff mode and common mode filtering often employed to reduce these emissions and there are eliminated for cost reasons.

Poorly implemented circuits will be more susceptible. Awesomely implemented circuits will be less susceptible but not to the point of zero susceptibility, that would be impossible.

Depending on the source of the noise there is no guarantee you wont have differential mode noise problems in Ethernet circuitry nor is there any guarantee you wont have common mode problems...it all depends.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.