Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

How can you fit an EH6922 in it?

It's no longer giving people who are interested in superior playback the option of building their own transport: which is awesome.

High end audio, and superior playback, is contingent on the quality of the HARDWARE. As we've seen with these horrible, multi-function, noiseboxes: they cannot be great transports until you turn them into some thing that they are not.
Even the computer industry is turning computers into phones, and turning multi-function devices into more limited devices, (internet enabled), at ever cheaper prices.

A multi-function computer is not only untenable as a superior audio playback device, - it's also untenable as a gaming device, or as TV, or as a network configuration tool.

For Apple to eliminate almost all ports, & peripherals, (in an effort to make their computer, not a computer), they are turning their laptops into IPADs with keyboards, yet they don't offer a touchscreen.

As you say, - it's totally obvious, and in turn, awesome that these things SUCK as digital file playback transports, and there's no cogent argument for their continued use as such.

Finally, the Squeezebox system demonstrates the other side of this, that tweaking a Squeezebox, adding a power supply, etc. gets you close to having something that is almost as good as a multi-function computer, and is only lacking in a few bits of hardware improvements. It's surprising that there aren't more Aries, Minds, & Bryston BHs out there....

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.