Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Again already: New and even more improved computer speaker/amp system

My laptop's "desktop" [now-not-so-portable] speaker/amp system is ready to graduate from "something through which the computer can make noise" to "second system" status.

Uncharacteristically--for my recent adventures in audio gear collection, anyway--this new system is in fact, all new. I'm still an enthusiastic proponent of getting used gear whenever possible for "best sound for the buck", appreciation for recycling, etc., but this time around, it just worked out that I wanted certain components, and couldn't find them used (at least not in a price range that might justify no warranties, etc.).

Not too long ago, I was happy to announce my previously "new and improved" computer audio system, and was especially happy that it cost me just $300 USD (mostly used gear). That system did represent a substantial improvement over the previous Creative Labs "2.1 speaker system in a box" I had suffered with for years, but now I've really gone and done it -- spent a bit more (still, very inexpensive in "audiophile terms"), and came up with a sound I can really appreciate as a "second system" (still can't compete "head to head" with the main system, but that's not the point of this system). This is a "near field/desktop" system.

First, the $300 system that just got replaced:

Analog audio output from computer

Integrated amp: Dayton DTA-100A Tripath amp (50 wpc)

Satellite speakers: NHT Super Zero

Subwoofer: Energy E:XL-S8

Then, I got a Schiit Bifrost DAC for the system, which inspired further changes.

Here's the *new* new and improved system (around $1450, including cables and one power cord; may be two more power cords coming):

Digital output from computer (via USB)

DAC: Schiit Bifrost via USB input

Integrated amp: Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (hybrid tube/SS class A/B - 20 wpc) (2 x NOS Raytheon 6AK5 tubes)

Satellite speakers: Napa Acoustic NA-208S

Subwoofer: HSU Research STF-1

Headphones: Sennheiser HD600 (not included in cost estimate, above)

Tubes in the integrated amp are still burning in (just got started with those yesterday), but already, the sound is, generally, lovely. With this new integrated amp however, there is a bit of hum coming through speakers/headphones (to varying degrees at different volume level settings - see below). I'm wondering if this hum is a result of "noisy tubes"? Will be investigating. In any event, the hum is an interesting issue, as it's variable, as follows (as I wrote to Ryan at Maverick Audio, earlier today):

1) At "zero volume" (7 o'clock), the hum is quite audible (this is a
"near field" desktop application, and a hum this loud cannot be
ignored). At low volumes of listening the hum can be heard, therefore
negatively affecting the clarity of the music (which otherwise, sounds
very nice!).

2) As the volume is turned up, the hum begins to decrease at around 10
o'clock, until at straight up 12 o'clock, it's just about silent
(black background). Problem is here, that 12 o'clock is already a bit
too loud for most of my "desktop listening", yet this is where
there is the greatest clarity in the music - without the hum.

3) As the volume is increased beyond 12 o'clock (beyond 1 o'clock,
especially), the hum then *increases* in volume, becoming its loudest
at full volume (about 5 o'clock). Of course, I doubt I'd ever want to
turn the volume up beyond about 12 o'clock anyway, so while this last
bit is interesting to note, it doesn't really affect me in practical
terms at the moment.

I'm already pretty happy with the sound I'm getting, and if I can solve this hum issue with the amp, I'll be very, very happy! :)

Edits: 07/10/12 07/10/12 07/10/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Again already: New and even more improved computer speaker/amp system - willkayakforfood 16:17:18 07/10/12 (22)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.