Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

I have no use for audio equipment that has hum.

I have no use for audio equipment that has hum. I have been there and done that, decades ago.

A decent amp will not have loud hum when the input is open, i.e. not connected. This is pretty obvious. Where have you been all these years? This is even true with some older vacuum tube equipment which tends to be more sensitive to hum because of higher impedance inputs. Your comments might be appropriate when assessing a high gain phono preamp input, but not a line level input as was the OP's situation.

When I select the analog "preamp" input of my DAC I hear no hum, even if I crank the volume control all the way up, which provides 20 dB more gain than it takes to blast me out of the room when the input is connected to my cassette deck. The only time I have ever heard a slight hum on this input is when it was connected to another device. When I got the Mytek I tested all the inputs to see if and how they worked. If there had been hum on the analog input when the connecter was disconnected I would have returned the unit as indicative of a manufacturing or engineering defect.

When the line level input to my powered speakers is disconnected there is absolutely no sound coming out of the speakers, even with my ear one inch away. Had this not been the case, I would have returned these as well.

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I have no use for audio equipment that has hum. - Tony Lauck 08:40:46 07/11/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.