Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Exactly!

That is why we need tweakers working on these converters and recorders. The Pro industry has and is usually behind the audiophiles in sound.....not always....but they generally lack the tweak element. Not so with tube/analog people....Look at a Walker Turntable and Walker phonostage, etc. These things are really tweak!!!! The Meitner and DCS stuff is full of op amps, too many filters, not great parts, not really tweaked!!!! So, that no matter what you feed these converters some of the real resolution is lost before it even gets into the ADC chip. For instance, Chesky got their first DCS ADC several years ago to start recording in 24/96. There was an article in a magazine that quoted them saying they were going to put a tubed input into it. I talked to Bob Katz about 6 months after the mag. article and asked him what Chesky had done to the DCS ADC. He told me that they did not put a tubed input in it, instead they had removed several op amps that it did not need for much better sound!!! This is just the beginning....we need the analog tweakers to get a hold of these converters and really tweak them out to see what is really possible.

See, I really don't care which format is better....really...I just want them both taken to the absolute max...My sense is that when done this way, the difference will be minor and no one will care because either one of them will sound considerably better than what we are currently hearing. As David Robinson of Positive Feedback says...."I don't drive stock".....however, he is now using a "stock" Meitner converter because it sounds better than his modified Sony SCD-1.....Well David, time to modify the Meitner...and on it goes....into infinity.....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Exactly! - Ric Schultz 00:23:46 10/02/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.