Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Others find the opposite and/or differences

It is interesting that they cannot hear any differences nor can Plush. However many recording engineers hear differences between different 24/96 and 24/192 ADCs and DACS as well as differences between different DSD encoders/decoders.....

When you are looking to prove something (like Plush) then you see only what supports your point of view. Here are some other points of view:

1. Mobile Fidelity played around with 24/96 for years before getting the Meitner DSD stuff and that is when they could finally make a pure copy of a super analog tape. This is documented on the Positive Feedback forum.

2. Telarc A/Bed 24/96 with DSD and decided to go with DSD and has tried PCM several more times and continues to use DSD.

3. Tony Falkner (very well respected recording engineer) has said that 24/96 does not make it and only when you go to quad speed (176 or 192) does the sound become great. He has recorded in both 176 and DSD using the same recorder (DCS) and was quoted that the difference was like apples and oranges (depends on what you like).

4. I talked to a designer/audiophile at Sony who has listened to all the formats and he said that all the converters sounded different and the latest Meitner was now very good (this was then a generation III Meitner) but that 24/192 also sounded really good (and not 24/96) and one could argue that in some ways it (24/192) was better.

5. There is recently a post on Hi Rez quoting the engineer of the new Dylan SACDs that they had a new DSD encoder from Prism they thought was much better than their old DSD encoder(better than what it did not say, but presumably either DCS or Meitner since probably 90% of all SACDs were encoded with these two).

6. You can change even a single component inside either a 24/96, 24/192,or DSD ADC or DAC and you will have different sound. If you don't believe this then you have not done it on a super revealing system.

7. My friend Kyle at Reference Audio Mods has done a $5000 mod done to a Marantz SA-1....it was compared to the latest Meitner DAC/transport....it was much better.....which means that recording engineers have never heard how good DSD (or interpolating, 24/96-24/192 is)is.

Take two really good mics. Hardwire the best mic cable into it and remove any pads or whatever in the mics....then hardwire the mic cable into the worlds best mic preamp and then hardwired directly to the ADC. Play back the system using a pair of OTL Tenor amps and the best Kharma speakers....Let us know if you still cannot hear any differences between the different types of converters and even different brands.....

I believe that some people cannot hear differences on their system or that their predilictions are so severe that this interferes with objective listening. But there is no doubt (to me) that all brands of converters sound different as well as which format is used.

I am not suggesting that any one format is better just that this one persons findings does not make truth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.