Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Found it

Percy and his wife were staying at a downtown hotel. Bud asked me to drive them there, and he made Percy promise to tell me his tale, the Zanzibar Fallacy, which Bud loved.
It goes like this: There was a captain of a freighter who had been sailing the seas for a very long time. He was a fine captain, liked by his crews. He had a tradition. Outside the ship's wheelhouse was a small cannon. Each day at noon the captain shot off the cannon.
One day, the captain got his crew together to announce his retirement. He was going to build a house outside the capital of Zanzibar, and he invited all his crew to visit him after it was finished. One morning a crew member showed up. He and the captain reminisced as the captain showed him around his home. On the second floor was a replica of the wheelhouse with a cannon outside, just like on the ship. It was nearly noon. The captain checked his watch and at noon shot the cannon.
The crewman had to leave, but as he left he asked the captain how he knew it was noon, so the cannon was shot at the correct time. The captain replied that it was simple. In the city was a man who studied time and had a grand collection of clocks. He just made sure his watch was coordinated with those clocks, and he advised the crewman to visit the man in order to see his collection.
The next morning the crewman was in town and visited the man. It was just before noon, and at noon all the alarms of the clock collection went off. The crewman complimented the man on his impressive collection. But he was curious. How did he know the time was correct, that it was really noon when the alarms went off? The man replied that it was easy. Outside the city lived a retired sea captain, and every day at noon he shot off a cannon. The man simply coordinated all his clocks with the captain's cannon shot.

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. "
― W.C. Fields

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Found it - Jay Buridan 19:18:28 11/19/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.