Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: My point is that blind and sighted testing are unreliable in different ways

"But if you do it with extensive tests and with correlation to objective measurements as Floyd Toole did over decades it becomes a very useful tool to go along with other tests. In fact Toole claims that doing both types of tests he's come up with over 95% certainty of predicting an excellent speaker. "

Here's a video where Toole discusses this idea. The relevant discussion starts at 21 minutes 35 seconds. I can't seem to make that start time work with the youtube video embedding feature, so you'll need to fast-forward it manually to that point. Or you can use this link to go directly to the video on youtube at the right start time.

Floyd worked out which loudspeaker measurements to perform (the so-called "spinorama"), and I believe it was Todd Welti who figured out how to process the data in such a way as to give a figure of merit having a high correlation with listener preference on double-blind listening tests. There's some more discussion and links in this post.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My point is that blind and sighted testing are unreliable in different ways - andy_c 23:36:52 11/24/16 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.