Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Absolutely! ...

Hi Satie,

In answer to some of your questions -

If you look carefully in the photo you will notice that the ribbon is placed in the same channel that the original wire occupied. It goes along the same track so the spacing will be slightly narrower given that the the QR is wider physically. Where there were originally double runs are single runs. If you have a look at a TID bass panel it should be self evident as to why that is the case.

In terms of sonics take what I say with a grain of salt because my filter, that is my ears will be different to yours. However I can see the response thus far from colleagues of mine has been very noticeable.

It needs to be pointed out that I had the opportunity to listen to a fresh pair of rewired Tympanis and then listened to mine the following day. The response from the repairer was that I would not need a sub woofer. Now we all know that a sub has its place but what the repairer was alluding to was the fact that the bass response was jumped out at you. It was chalk and cheese. It is so much tighter, faster with a lot lot more slam. As an example I put some music on and spoke to a friend on the phone. I put the phone on speaker and played a small section where a bass element kicks in and even he could detect kick in the response. This is a terrible way of listening to music but it shows under such conditions what someone else could detect.

At the minute the system is 2 way. The true ribbon is there and will be used to make it 3 way in an active system controlled by an 8 x 8 minidsp. This means then that the existing tweeter will be the midrange. I am still learning about frequency ranges so I can't answer your question about 1st order. The repairer double the size of the inductor coil and also included a bank of capacitors totalling 34.1 uf to account for the resistance change.

Would you like me to post additional photos particularly of the ribbon layout?

Let me say this. I had an opportunity to choose between this and panels which were done in wire. I would challenge anyone to listen to my system with the QR and choose the original wire. It was a no brainer. This was an experiment by the repairer who had been the principal repairer of Maggie's in Australia for many many years. He had had it in his mind to try something like this and I guess I was the lucky recipient. I would have no issue whatsoever in leaving the panels as is without the true ribbon. If there is a suggestion that doing this should in theory result in a poorer sonic response then to my mind it doesn't translate into physical reality. Just my opinion of course.

Cheers Ozzie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.