Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Absolutely! ...

Still, this modification is not a straight comparsion between round and flat wire!

I am not surpriced that the sound of the basses changed, a move towards a lower register as this would be normal as you increase the moving mass. The original I-D is not the very best midrange performer, that is why the IIIB with its separate midrange driver was introduced. Your modified basses are probably good up to about a few hundred Hz but not all the way up to the tweeter. The tweeter is not very suited to go that low.

I have a set of Tympani IIIA. They have an even heavier copper wiring and the magnetic structure is indentical to the I-D. They measure flat up to 4 kHz but it does not sound that way.

The mass of the bass wiring is:
I-D: 19 g
QR-modified I-D: 24 g
IIIA: 82 g

at Bolder Bob:
QR is the Magneplanar type of driver with a flat wire (foil) instead of the normal round wire. The flat wire i this case is the same as used in the 3.7/3.7i. It measures 0.075" x 0.005". If you go that path, the crossover need to be modified as well.

Satie wrote: "How much of a free mylar strip do you have left to act as suspension?"

Sure the foil conductors cover a larger area than the round wire - there will be less uncovered Mylar than can strech. The Mylar is 9" wide. The round wire covers about 0.54" of the Mylar versus the foil 1.95". I think the foil will limit the maximum bass SPL quite in bit versus round wire.

Edits: 09/07/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.