Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

What is the purpose of the rear wave in dipole speakers? Can you just put planars in a box?

THANKS so much you guys for not treating me like a fool just for being ignorant ;-)

It sounds like the consensus is that there should be some front wall reflection, but I'm going to be too close for optimal imaging (really only about a foot from the front wall). So maybe I should do partial diffusion and partial absorption. The alternative is to get a non-dipole speaker and not have to deal with it. With no experience, it's hard to say which is the better option.

It's very interesting to me that Quads have felt damping in them. I don't know the thickness, but I assume it's relatively thin, only damping the higher/-est frequencies.

"Quad ESL-57 is using damping behind their drivers, bass will still pass but higher frequencies will not."

"Planars are voiced with the back wave being used"

"This means you do not have to treat your room for the first side reflection - the reflection that has a major influence on imaging coherency...A planar can be placed juts two feet from the rear wall and still provide pinpoint imaging and smoothness"

"Magnepan specifically voices the speakers for diffuse front wall reflections. The speakers sound more alive, snappy and dynamic with more mid bass slam closer to the FW."

"I wrapped mine around the back of my Maggies"

"Minis don't have bass frequencies with ( their geometrically increased need for size & structural energy ) which to contend. "

"The problem is that you trade off the reverberant field the backwave creates once it is delayed sufficiently.It helps define spaces better. "

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • What is the purpose of the rear wave in dipole speakers? Can you just put planars in a box? - jodaboda@gmail.com 22:08:27 08/20/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.