Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

What is the purpose of the rear wave in dipole speakers? Can you just put planars in a box?

I'm really trying to figure out why Maggies and the like have to be SO far from the front wall. Now maybe the panel needs "room to breathe" but then it seems like the only reason it "needs" this is so that the rear wave takes long enough to reflect and then hit the ears that it doesn't interfere with the main wave (please excuse my complete lack of knowledge and use of incorrect terminology-- hopefully you get my drift).

So maybe an enclosure doesn't work, but what about just putting the speakers a foot from the front wall and putting up 4" thick OC 703 (or better) to trap much of the back wave?

The reason I ask is that my desk is stuck in a corner, and I really want some higher-end speakers for it. Maggie Minis seems to fit the bill. To boot, the small speakers (not the bass panel) don't go very low frequency-wise, so I would assume it's relatively easy to absorb the back wave.

All this is useless if the back wave CONTRIBUTES something to the sound (reverb?). But does it?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - What is the purpose of the rear wave in dipole speakers? Can you just put planars in a box? - jodaboda@gmail.com 14:54:19 08/19/15 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.