Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Anyone tried 2 pairs of MMG's in series or is it a dumb idea and why?

No big secret but let me check the status of the patent-pendings :-)) Actually, if no one comes to bring it up, I'll explain more by the end of this month, when I get enough time to do it properly.

For now, partial hints...things add up; synergistically.
- Try increasing system efficiency (think beyond the obvious).
- Also, include the normal human "perceptual space" (and even consider that measured SPL is not always perceived SPL).
- Also, think back to your own MMGs before you framed them vs framed. (Did that alone not gain you some headroom in this direction?)
- What about your PLLXO biamp setup. Ok, you may have not been pursuing "slap issues". However, I did exploit my PLLXO's potential in this direction also, simply because...oh, well, the damn 1812 cannons!
- BTW, if you measure the REAL output of each MMG at various SPL levels, funny things may be observed that are key to this whole thing. (No electronic chart or formula will tell you this unless you have ALL the parameters, which not even Magnepan has. Then you need a Cray's help :-))
- The Maggies reality HAS to be measured in practice.
- In addition, think about what improved clarity does to the whole thing. Again, it is a role that includes perception...but it can partially measured when one wants.
- The role of proper amplification: some clipping can be confused for slapping. In addition, some amps can push more power/SPL before "real slap" happens. "Damping factor" may not be the explanation but something along those lines may be.

Even before any mention of a woofer or subwoofer comes into play, a set of Maggies ALONE can avoid slap at higher SPL, both real and perceived. Which is why I only now began to add woofers even when the need for them has almost "not been there". (At low pipe organ notes I almost wish I had Slap from the MMGs, LOL! I do get it NOW from the new woofers if I go beyond their limits, but that a design sacrifice for better music, not ear-splitting SPL).

So, you are correct: "Creativity doesn't trump the laws of physics. :)" Yet, the greatest engineering cannot uncover real opportunities if its attitude is not creative. Science is not negated or violated at all. It is simply more widely, fully and creatively applied.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.