Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Help with Tri-Center!

Let me try to add a few possible suggestions. First, for context, my setup is the one pictured on the Magnepan web site under "Tri-Center." I have no affiliation with Magnepan, but I am a very happy tri-center customer. As you can see from the pictures, I am using a Lexicon MC-12BHD-EQ processor (although I'd love to get my hands on a Bryston SP-3 unit -- which the new Lexicon appears to be based on).

As to my suggestions:

1) As Satie has already said, playing with the delay between the L+R and the tri-center is critical and it took me several days to find the right "corrected distance" compared with the actual distance my processor calculated. In my case the processor thinks the speakers are 6 inches closer to me than they really are. I did then have the processor do the calculations to fine tune the volume of all of the speakers per my sitting area.

2) As Satie has also said, it helps to be able to adjust how much power is fed into the MCC2 "sides" vs. CCR (I do believe the ribbon tweeter in the CRR may be part of the magic, but I'm running it with 20.1s so that match may be more important).

3) I also found that playing with the reflectivity and absorption behind all of the speakers mattered. In my case, I have a lot of scattered reflections behind the tri-center, but absorption in the corners behind the 20.1's. I would also note that my television is set back about 15 inches from the radiating surface of the tri-center speakers and the cabinet largely prevents the speakers from radiating onto the screen.

4) In terms of processor settings I use a Lexicon proprietary 5.1 channel mix which favors music (the processor gives you a choice between music, film and tv settings and I always use the music setting).

5) One other way to test the setup is to play true 5.1 or 7.1 recordings (Chris Botti in Boston on BluRay is a great test disc) and then compare that sound to what the processor does in converting a 2-channel recording to 3.1 or 5.1 or 7.1. In my case, it is very hard to tell the difference between 5.1 recorded as such and a 5.1 rendition of a 2-channel recording.

All that being said, the room plays a huge role in all of this. I have a fairly large 18 by 28 foot room with 12 foot ceilings and had no choice but to run the fronts across the wide dimension of the room. Hope this gives you a few other ideas to try. Good luck.
SD

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.