Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Toe in was the same as the 1.6's

The 3.6's were placed in the same spot as the 1.6's were. I have moved them around a little but have not really improved how they sound. When placed in the same spot as the 1.6's, the 3.6's center fill does seem a little more forward. The "toe in" is as seen - maybe 10-15 degrees and I am listening from my chair about 7 or 8 feet from the speakers. Each speaker faces a point maybe 2 feet BEHIND my head at the listening position. Without a little toe in the soundstage loses some focus at least in this room. The photo distorts the room's shape somewhat. If I move them closer to the front wall then I lose some soundstage depth. Track 10 of Stereophile's test CD 3 has a good depth test where some fellow walks front, back and side to side while banging a little instrument (drum, tambourine ??) - he is actually testing different types of microphones and how they pick up the soundstage. It's a good test of a stereo system's ability to project depth. He tells you where he is on the soundstage like "I am at the back left". On the Classic Records reissue of Dave Brubecks "Take Five" cut (from the album of the same name) I can notice the snare drums in the left channel up front but when he whacks that kick drum it is noticeably further back BEHIND the left speaker.

Bob

Bob

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.