Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: I sense no harshness with the Bryston 4B-SST

I guess I need to qualify my statement more.

The Bryston SSTs are not harsh, so much as thin and bright sounding. I know the differences between amps probably measure as being very small, but there is a definite improvement in all categories with my present amp. Now, the Sts were harsh on the highs (though they had better bass IMO).

My current amp is a no-global-feedback design, and I think that affects the perceived dynamics of the midrange. More midrange dynamics and presence means less of a thin sound. Also, the high frequencies are a bit "highlighted" with the SSTs compared to my current amp (which goes out to 1 MHz frequency, so isn't roll-off). My current amp has MOSFET outputs that are so smooth its amazing. There is much less of a spotlight on the highs. They sound more like natural music.

I brought another audiophile over to listen to my system with the Bryston's in place. He agreed that the highs weren't harsh, but they sure were bright and over-emphasised. It could have been because of the midrange, though.

You can check out my system for other components. I use Kimber Bifocal XL speaker cables (I haven't tried others, so I don't know the sonic effect). For a preamp, I have the Placette passive pre, which is amazingly dynamic and distortion-free. I have tried other preamps, and they all add unwanted distortions to the high end, and are not as transparent. For me, a bad top-end kills the enjoyment of the music, which is why so few CDs appeal to me. I much prefer high-res DVD or vinyl (or SACD, but I don't have a player for that now).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I sense no harshness with the Bryston 4B-SST - audioNeil 17:34:26 10/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.