Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: My thoughts on my move from the Magnepan 1.6 QR to the 3.6R

Nice system!

Mine used to be very similar, right down to the Bel Canto DAC2, the Bryston 4B-SST, and the Maggie 3.6s.

I've still got the Maggies and the DAC2, but the Bryston had to go. Also, the Mye stands are a MUST. They are not an option -- they are required to get optimum sound out of the 3.6/R speakers. Given the quality of the rest of the system, they are a no brainer as the next tweek.

As for the Bryston, I found that it did not have sufficient presence and dynamics in the midrange, and was a still a bit harsh in the highs, despite the SST designation. You can do better. The speakers and the amp are a system. You can't upgrade one without taking into account the other. I feel that the Bryston works fine on the QR speakers, but is no match for the quality of the 3.6s or 20.1s . I use a Linar 250i and find it absolutely perfect (smoothest highs, great midrange dynamics), but there are Plinius, Simaudio Moon, Pass Labs, Bel Canto, and other well respected amps that will likely give a better sound (though each is different. You might go through a couple to find the perfect match).

Congratulations on the 3.6s, but your audio Nirvana may still await ... :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.