Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Listening to my New Korneff Clone 45 SET Amps .................

A few reasons.... First of all, it is working perfectly now. It is seamless, powerful and Musical. And I am not Bi-Amping the 115db Oris Horns. I am Bi-Amping the Entire System, which includes the 100db Khorn Bass Bins. The only Amp attached to the 115db Oris Horns ARE the TAL 45s.

When I got my Oris Orphean Horn System, the designer Bert Doppenberg of Holland recommends the Bi-Amp Configuration. And specifically the Hypex Amplifiers for the Bass Bins of your choice. All of his Bass Bins use a separate Bass Amp. Even with High Power Solid State Amps on his Horns. (Bert Prefers Solid State Amps). The Hypex Amps have a built in Active Crossover for the Bass Bin. The Orphean Horn Mid-Range and Tweeter use a passive crossover for cutoff Freqs of 270hz and 7,000 Hz. I have the Khorn Bass Bin cutoff Freq set at 270 Hz. --

Before I got the Oris Horns, I was using Altec Multicells and the Bass was sorely lacking even though the Khorn/Altec System was 104db. This was with 45 amps and 2A3 Amps. Amps were driven into clipping when volume hungry friends came over. Did the Bass bins make noise? -- Yes, but it was not the Controlled, Quick and Powerful Bass that I have now. And it also 'taxed' the SET amplifiers to clipping during Big orchestral performances (Think Firebird Suite and 1812 Overture) and Heavy Rock.

So, Been there, done that and 45 amps alone won't do it for me across all music spectrums. I switched to Oris Horns/Bi-Amping 7 years ago and have never looked back.

If you're ever in the Minneapolis Area, give me a shout and you can listen for yourself. I'll even provide the libations of your choice. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.