Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Thank you!

Run the JJ-2A3-40 at 11.2 watts dissipation. Ideally, this is with 255-260VDC across the tube.

Direct couple will drastically outperform cap-couple, and transformer-couple is second best. Use Lundahl.

LCLC is the only way to go with your PS. The "L's" don't have to meet critical inductance, but they DO have to be connected directly to the rectifier D.C. output.

A.C. Ripple should be looked at, but sonically, is a less-important factor in S.E. operation. The object is to get ripple as low as is practical without adversely affecting musical expression and flow.

Power for the driver tube must be as clean as possible, but once again, you don't want to compromise musical performance in order to "overkill" it-- be responsible to musical flow-- ignore numbers except where you truly need them to accomplish a certain thing.. Then, understand WHY you are doing or allowing a certain set of numbers.

The JJ-2A3-40 is capable of near-perfect performance if it is used right.

The EMLs are the same plant's more expensive variety. If an amp is set-up for either kind, it WILL NOT sound optimum on the other tube style.

I find it easy to get the SAME performance from either type-- the methods used are DIFFERENT from each other.

Decide what you're going to run, and then make the amp perfect with THAT tube ONLY. You can still run others-- if you set the amp up right, the others won't sound as good as the set-up tube, no matter what else you use.

The bottom line is that your amp can only sound as good as the man who set it up...

--Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thank you! - tube wrangler 21:49:42 12/22/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.