Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: 2A3 Options

Hi,

I think there is possibly only one "other" 2A3 to own, and that is the EML, but in your amp's implementation, I think the differences will really not be worth the expense.

The JJ-2A3-40 is the best choice in new, available 2A3s. All the Chinese stuff is junk, and due to their markedly inferior metallurgy, all Chinese 2A3s will turn to junk in short order.

If you want to treat yourself to something good for Christmas, I will help you re-design your B+ filter to the Finals.

(1) Your choke is likely 10 HY and 100 Ohms, needs to be no more than 20 Ohms, and

(2) never a 'C" input filter as implemented, a second serious design error.

(3) Needs to have chokes under 11 Ohms and L1/C1/L2/C2 as the topology to the 2A3 Finals, so you can hear a 2A3 as it should be heard !!

I can refer you to discriminating music listeners, who I've helped to make such changes, for their testimony...and...what they heard afterwards, if you need re-assurance.

Contact me by Forum email, and I will design it for you - gratis, on an amateur basis. Easy to make big sonic gains this way, and the amp, afterwards, will likely play your Tannoys with gusto and verve!

Jeff Medwin

Kyle, no caps, thanks.

Edits: 12/21/16 12/21/16 12/21/16

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.